Taking part is free, and not conditional on being, or having been, a Daggerville customer.
The theme, prize and word limit for each monthly round are specified in the relevant Facebook post.
Participation is subject to the following terms and conditions, and entering the competition implies acceptance of them:
- The competition is open to anyone who "likes" us on Facebook. You do not need to be a Daggerville customer to take part.
- Entries should be submitted as a Facebook message to Daggerville Writing Competition. The message’s first line (not included in the word count) should be "competition [month] [year]".
- Entries should include an email address (not included in the word count), as Facebook rules (point E vi) do not allow notifying winners through Facebook messages. Your email address will not be disclosed to third parties. We will only use it to notify you if your entry is successful, and not to send you promotional messages.
- Preference will be accorded to entries which fall within the sphere of interest of Daggerville Games. Within this remit, participants are free to interpret the theme in any reasonable way. Entries will primarily be judged for creativity and being well written.
- Entries must be the participants' own original and unaided work. They should not have been previously published, or posted online.
- Entries should be free of typographical and other errors.
- Participants retain copyright of their entries.
- The deadline for submission is the end of the last day of each month, midnight, London time. Entries may be submitted at any time between the deadline for the previous round and that for the current one.
- Entries may be submitted in English, French, German, Spanish and Italian.
- In any given round, each person may submit only one entry (the submission of different entries by the same person using multiple Facebook accounts is not allowed) - unless they wish to submit one as sole author and one as joint author (see § 17), in which case they may submit both.
- The winner will normally be announced through our mailing list within two weeks of the deadline. About a week later, an announcement will be made on Facebook.
- The judges' decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into. The judges may at their discretion award "Highly Commended" to runners-up (no prize attaches to this). Authors of unsuccessful entries will not be notified.
- Should the number or standard of entries not be sufficiently high, we reserve the right not to award a prize for that month, in which case the prize will roll over to the following month.
- Winners will, normally within a week of the announcement, receive the prize for the round as specified in the relevant Facebook post.
- Winning and highly commended entries will be posted online as Facebook notes and, in due course, in the Hall of Fame on the Daggerville Games website, together with the name of the author.
- Should the winning and highly commended entries not be in English, an English translation produced by Daggerville Games in consultation with the author will be provided alongside the entry itself in our Hall of Fame.
- Joint entries are allowed, in which case the conditions stipulated in this document apply to all entrants; joint entries must be submitted by one person only, specifying the Facebook names of the other authors of the entry; winning joint authors will share the prize.
- By participating, entrants certify that they are legally entitled to do so under the laws that apply to them. Moreover, minors should ask their parents or guardians to write to us confirming that they have given permission. This permission can be sent as a Facebook message, or as an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Team members of Daggerville Games and their relatives are excluded from participation. At present, previous winners are allowed to take part again, but we reserve the right to change this in future.
- This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. Participants are providing information to Daggerville Games and not to Facebook. Participants release Facebook completely.
- We reserve the right to vary these terms and conditions from one round to another.
Good luck, and we look forward to hearing from you!